1941 – The Kentucky Highway Department established a Division of Research which was located on University of Kentucky’s campus. The initial focus was primarily on materials research.
1979 – UK’s Board of Trustees created the Kentucky Transportation Center at UK.
1980 – The Kentucky Department of Transportation abolished the Division of Research and directed UK to assume the Department’s research functions.
1988 – The research and technology transfer functions were brought together within KTC.
1994 – The Kentucky Transportation Center and the Department of Civil Engineering moved into a new building, which was later dedicated to Oliver H. Raymond, UK College of Engineering graduate and benefactor.